The TCS Advantage
The integrated solution leverages both TCS’ and Cisco’s experience in the areas of cloud computing, sensors, wireless, and open storage to help clients build profitability. Businesses benefit from:
- An open standards-based cloud computing platform to simplify IoT application development involving sensor data and observations, complex event processing and correlations; the enhanced open platform helps in unlocking the sensor data from application silos, enabling third-party developers to develop specialized analytics-based applications
- A Platform–as-a–Service solution to rapidly develop, test, and manage sensor-based applications
- Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and libraries, providing the flexibility to integrate IoT solutions and services with enterprise systems and other solutions
- Pre-packaged and ready to use ‘foundation services’ for rapid development, including sensor integration, device management, data acquisition, data storage, analytics, rich query capabilities and visualization
- Multi-tenant, secure, managed application environment, where end-users can subscribe and unsubscribe from applications, control their privacy settings, and view usage history and billing information at any time—enabling unique and flexible business models
There are two primary components of the solution—the Cisco ISR device deployed in the plants, and TCS' platform deployed in a private or public cloud. Various operational attributes of the plant are captured and transmitted to the cloud, which acts as a central historian. Data collected at the plant is processed, filtered, and aggregated at Cisco ISR device and only desired information threshold alerts are sent to the cloud. This eliminates unnecessary data while optimizing network utilization. The Cisco ISR device is monitored by TCS Connected Universe Platform.
These operational attributes are used for monitoring, visual trend analysis, and predictive maintenance. The consolidated insights can be viewed on a centralized Plant Monitoring System Portal Application.
Other key features of the solution are:
- Data buffering in local disks in the event of network failure
- Support for data aggregation, filtering, compression, event detection, and processing
- Remote administration and management of Data Collector modules
- A single Data Collector connecting to multiple OPC-UA servers
The real-time visibility of asset operational parameters can augment the preventive maintenance planning process, resulting in improved asset availability, enhanced performance, and reduced down-time.
Benefits of the solution to the plant manager include:
- Enhanced scalability, improved performance, and network bandwidth savings
- Increased reliability and reduced possibility of data loss due to the cloud-based solution
- Improved asset utilization due to reduced downtime
- Reduced maintenance and life cycle cost of the asset
- Real-time, online visibility of plant operations from a centralized portal
These result in an improved decision-support system and consequently more effective decision-making. IoT-based remote monitoring solutions also offer the possibility of newer business models, such as ‘asset-as-a-service’ and tailored maintenance-cost models, depending on asset performance and utilization.
Download Brochure TCS Real-Time Remote Asset Monitoring Solution (228 KB)