“TCS has helped us in delivering a better process for Project and Portfolio Management, providing visibility for decision making, while realizing efficiencies in project delivery disciplines. Using MS EPM has enabled us to manage our portfolio of projects more efficiently.”
Associate Director, Zimmer IT.
Founded in 1927, Zimmer is a leading medical device company that designs, develops, manufactures, and markets orthopedic reconstructive, spinal and trauma devices, dental implants, and related surgical products. In addition, it offers interactive training and education opportunities for health care professionals. Zimmer sells its products through its distributors and sales representatives. It has operations in 25 countries, sells its products in more than 100 countries, and employs over 8,500 people worldwide. The company is headquartered in Warsaw, Indiana in the United States.
Zimmer's business units relied on the company's IT department to support core business functions.
With over 150 on-going IT projects at any given time, whose priorities changed frequently, the department faced continual challenges with resource scheduling and project management. IT managers, who lacked real time visibility into project progress, could not take swift and proactive steps to ensure on-time delivery, which was a business imperative. Non-standard processes and inadequate tools also impeded efficiency.
The department realized the need to adopt best practices and tools, streamline processes and implement a centralized project, program, and portfolio management solution. Hence, as a first step, established an IT Project Management Office (PMO) to improve transparency, increase efficiency through standardized best practices, and minimize costs through repeatable processes.
TCS began the engagement with an as-is analysis to study the existing situation. Based on this assessment, the TCS team compiled a list of key pain areas as well as areas for improvement, and thereby determined the requirements for project and portfolio management. Microsoft Enterprise Project Management (EPM) was chosen as the centralized project management tool to meet Zimmer's project and portfolio management needs. TCS offered strategy consulting to help Zimmer define processes and identify practices for a robust PMO and effective management of the company's portfolio of projects. TCS advised the company's IT department on using the right EPM modules and also helped create solutions to:
- Capture and manage strategic demands, with realtime visibility into resources
- Streamline and automate the proposal and project approval process
- Track and manage the portfolio of proposals and projects, project risks and issues, and change requests, as well as tasks and activities within each project
- Strategically plan and manage priority discussions on all proposals, projects, programs
- Manage project financials to ensure effective cost controls
- Improve visibility of the portfolio with effective Business intelligence dashboards
- Manage the application lifecycle to maximize the value of investments
The EPM-based solution ensured visibility across programs, projects, and operational activities, helping the IT teams manage all on-going initiatives from concept to completion. The EPM tool also served as a single repository of all project status reports and automated processes for managing scope, risk, quality, issues, and schedules. Role-based dashboards provided managers with real-time information and enabled faster analysis and response.
Zimmer's IT and senior management now have an improved ability to make rapid and informed decisions. The EPM solution, together with the standardized processes and best practices instituted by TCS, have helped Zimmer achieve these benefits:
- 10-20 percent improvement in time taken for project delivery
- 50 percent decrease in time spent by IT managers on project status reporting
- 35 percent reduction in project change requests due to enhanced portfolio visibility
- 30 percent reduction in the queue of IT demands, due to faster prioritization and approvals
- Reduction in administrative efforts related to project management