“Performance improvement after our business warehouse data center move and design changes resulted in a remarkable increase in system usability and therefore, end-user experience and customer satisfaction.”
- Virpi Tuukkanen Head of SAP, Rautaruukki Oyj / SSAB
About the client
Ruukki is part of SSAB, a Nordic and U.S. based steel company, which offers value added products and services to create a stronger, lighter and more sustainable world. SSAB has 17,000 employees with operations in over 50 countries.
Ruukki’s management team relies on critical daily business warehouse (BW) reports related to sales, finance, and production to make key business decisions. However, the existing BW’s complex and inefficient architecture caused performance bottlenecks, process inefficiencies and an increase in BW incidents. To better support business critical reporting, Ruukki enhanced their current BW and leverage a new system.
TCS provided SAP application development, maintenance, and hosting support to migrate the BW servers from the existing data center to TCS’ data center. TCS’ applied best practices to design and optimize the BW database and data load performance.
The team chose a two-pronged approach:
- Phase 1: Identifying gaps in critical BW data loads to optimize data load flow and reduce reporting time
- Phase 2: Cleaning databases that were not in use to increase memory space
- Ruukki reduced period-end closing and monthly reporting activities from 11 days to four days
- Reduced BW incident counts by more than 50%, resulting in lower BW support costs
- Optimized database space by nearly 2.5 TB (about 25% of the total), and consequently reduced database maintenance overheads
- Improved the end-user experience which better supports senior management in their most important strategic decisions