“We're very pleased with the results, especially considering the stalled attempts TransAlta had before this successful execution. We're looking forward to the next stage of engagement with TCS: removing the remaining 40 divested company codes.”
-Nguyen Tran, Director of IT Applications, TransAlta
About the client
TransAlta Corporation is a multinational power generator and wholesale marketer of electricity that operates over 70 power plants in Canada, the United States, and Australia with wind, hydro, natural gas and coal power generation facilities.
Through years of divesting business units, Trans Alta had accumulated large amounts of unused data, which slowed business users' daily processes. TransAlta needed to remove divested company data without impacting any live customer information and fix data quality issues without creating new data. To improve performance, TransAlta needed to implement an SAP archiving framework.
To successfully remove the divested company code data without impacting TransAlta's current operations, TCS proposed a reusable archiving framework. This approach followed a safe, verifiable, expandable, fast and efficient process to move the data. TCS assisted TransAlta in the assessment and implementation of the framework in a two-phased approach:
- Phase 1: Archiving
- Phase 2: Assurance which included impact analysts and completion, business process and performance checks
- TransAlta’s systems have experienced considerable improvement, after removing 11 to 12 percent of the total data.
- All of the unneeded master data was successfully archived, including the removal of 97 percent of customer data from the divested unit and 30 percent of the total data for vendors.
- TCS’ projects an estimated 90 percent cost savings in the analysis phase for TransAlta’s future divestiture projects with a reusable framework now in place.
- TransAlta’s data cleansing process has improved and they have now improved response and job execution times.