Ambuja Cements Limited (ACL), the lowest cost producer of cement in the world, is one of the largest and most profitable cement companies in India.
ACL had disparate payroll policies and manually-intensive payroll operations across its 18 locations in India. Multiple legacy applications hampered its ability to obtain a single view of the employee data and deal with the changing statutory compliance requirements. Payroll complexities were also amplified by workforce comprising both unionized and nonunionized employees, multiple compensation structures, complex wage board regulations and the need for filing tax returns at multiple locations.
TCS’ SAP-based HCM platform hosted on reliable, scalable, secure infrastructure and pay-per-use pricing was the right choice for ACL to standardize its complex payroll operations.
TCS’ SAP-powered HCM Platform provided a scalable and flexible solution to meet ACL’s needs to drive accuracy, ensure compliance and enhance employee satisfaction from its payroll processes, while managing costs.
TCS’ solution provides the following functionalities:
- Payroll processing
- Payroll data administration
- Time and attendance inputs
- Employee self service
- Regulatory and statutory compliance
- Post payroll processing
- Helpdesk support
The engagement with TCS provided ACL with the following benefits:
- Standardization of processes and systems across more than nine unified payroll policies, eight loan criteria policies and employee group definitions from eighteen locations
- Lower operational expenses, better control and cost predictability, by moving to an OPEX model
- Scalable and flexible solution with the capacity to handle up to five times the current employee size and the ability to add new locations
- Streamlined payroll and accounts responsibility with location-specific payroll Single Point of Contacts (SPOCs)
- Reduction in manual operations for reimbursement / claim submission / investment declaration, with self service options
“Any business needs a good responsive team, be it internal or external, who translates business requirements into much needed effective solutions. To us, TCS BPO & Transformation team has done the same in transforming our discrete and distributed pay process into a singular unified process by putting them on a robust centralized SAP platform. Good job done. Wish them a great success.”
- Atul Pandharpurkar, GM (Projects), Ambuja Cements Limited.