The Customer: A world leader in unified storage solutions, NetApp is a leading storage systems and software company, headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, USA, and creates innovative products that help customers store, manage, protect and retain one of their most precious corporate assets: their data.
NetApp has maintained its competitive edge through early and frequent product releases. It releases and maintains two or three versions of its products and aims for a predictable release quality and frequency. It sought a partner who could take over the QA and testing services for sustaining releases, while the company’s core technical team focused on new product releases.
It felt that a partner with strong technical abilities, and the ability to ramp up or down as necessary, would also solve the problem of varying resource requirements due to the cyclical pattern of software testing. TCS fulfilled NetApp’s requirements and was selected as the vendor of choice to provide sustaining Quality Assurance services.
TCS’ Solution: Salient Features
- Managed, output-based model based on metrics
- Division of work items, e.g., manual and automated execution assembly line, test case development and automation assembly line, test case and test script sustenance assembly line
- Ability to manage the peaks and lows of work streams
- Planning and monitoring test progress with tools as applicable, with weekly auditing of testing integrity
- Core and flexi staffing model, using core staff for knowledge-intensive tasks like test case development, test automation and triaging complex failures, and flexi staff for repetitive execution-related tasks
We used our Global Network Delivery Model (GNDM™) to manage the engagement in a predominantly offshore mode, reducing operational costs for NetApp considerably. We also drew on the expertise of the TCS Storage Center of Excellence (CoE) and the Assurance CoE to strengthen competencies in domain-specific topics and assess process maturity.
We also leveraged the internal knowledge of NetApp’s products within TCS, garnered from our long-standing global strategic alliance with NetApp.
The engagement provided NetApp with the following benefits:
- A 15% savings with the use of the pay-per-use model
- Better utilization of in-house resources
- Scalable and flexible resourcing, providing the ability to tide over the peaks and valleys in the workload without the necessity of a large team
- Improved processes and operational efficiency with the use of value-adds and best practices utilized by TCS during the engagement
- Better reliability with the reduction in the number of patch releases for defects
“It was the first time that such a critical release was managed out of India and the TCS team partnered with the in-house NetApp team to deliver the release successfully.”
- NetApp, Vikram Shah, Vice President and General Manager