"We look to use technology in innovative ways to maintain our leadership position and to enhance our flying operations. The relationship with TCS has been very positive…TCS understands our IT architecture and systems."
- Captain Alex Passerini, Technical Pilot Technology Development, Qantas
Founded in Queensland in 1920, Qantas has grown to be Australia's largest domestic and international airline. It is widely regarded as the world's leading long distance airline with a fleet of over 300 aircrafts. The Group's broad portfolio of subsidiary businesses ranges from Qantas Freight Enterprises to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
Qantas has built a reputation for excellence in customer service, safety, operational reliability as well as engineering and maintenance. This trust and reputation is supported by Qantas’ ability to innovate and their determination to deliver world-class customer service. In order to stay ahead of the competition, Qantas had to ensure that their IT systems and business processes were more efficient, flexible and reliable. Qantas was looking for a partner who could assist them to achieve these objectives and ensure a better return on their IT investments.
Qantas selected TCS as its IT services partner based on our strong pedigree in IT services, consulting and innovation.
The Qantas TCS relationship has grown from strength to strength over the years. Our full services offering for Qantas now includes IT Service Management, Application Support and Development, Software Testing, Enterprise Integration, Infrastructure Services, Mobility Solutions, Engineering and Industrial Services, as well as Business Process Services. Our services impact Qantas’ critical applications for airports, engineering, freight, loyalty, corporate, catering and customer enablement.
Some of the key highlights of the relationship include:
- Large Programs: We provide consultancy, business analysis and software testing services for a number of large programs at Qantas, such as the Freight Futures program and the Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) modernization program. The Freight Futures program transformed Qantas’ freight IT operations into an efficient and scalable business. For the MRO modernization program, TCS performed the system integration and data migration from the mission critical legacy MRO system to a new web-based product for Qantas Engineering and ensured high application availability and improved airworthiness.
- Application Development and Maintenance: We assisted in the development and maintenance of Airline Passenger Booking, Freight and Loyalty systems at Qantas. We also manage Qantas' applications pertaining to in-flight services and crew management, as well as those related to Airport Operations such as Flight Readiness, Scheduling, Planning, Monitoring and MRO, ensuring improvements in on-time departure as well as greater aircraft availability and safety.
- Business Continuity Planning: Our team has ensured a greater level of system stability through advanced operational control measures. Our periodic training and internal audit measures adhere to Qantas’ IT security policies, as well as operational health and safety requirements. In order to improve operational efficiency, we support the airline’s legacy systems, while refreshing and redefining the airlines future IT landscape.
- Mobility Solutions: Qantas’ QPilot App on iPad developed by TCS provides pilots with a simpler, more efficient system to access a wide range of operational information via iPads rather than bulky paper documents – including charts, flight plans, manuals and forms. This pioneering project helped pilots stay up-to-date with critical flight data, while replacing volumes of paper per flight - saving time, resources and costs.
- 24 x 7 Support: We also provide infrastructure and hosting services along with end-to-end service management. IT applications are managed round the clock from two TCS offshore development centers at Delhi and Chennai in India, and from TCS centers in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Creation, Refresh and Internationalization of Websites: We contributed to the revamp and internationalization of the Qantas.com website and are responsible for ensuring its 100% availability. We also developed the Qantas Freight.com website.
Qantas has achieved a number of outstanding business results through this long-term IT partnership with TCS. The airline has experienced improvements in productivity, reduction in operating costs and a substantial reduction in IT spending as well as a greater alignment of IT investments with business needs. Qantas also reports a reduction in incidents and problems in business continuity through Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) driven processes, and defect prevention using TCS’ Root Causal Analysis (RCA) methods.
The airline leverages a broad range of innovative solutions from our award-winning Travel and Hospitality Innovation Lab. It also benefits from the TCS Co-innovation Network (COINTM) comprising academic institutions, startup entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and industry bodies with multiple innovation labs around the world. In addition, Qantas receives advice from our Global Consulting Practice (GCP) on Oracle, Master Data Management (MDM) as well as business processes (MRO, Airlines Loyalty) and new services such as Big Data, cloud services, analytics, social collaboration and connected marketing. Our associates regularly identify and leverage the latest trends in various areas to enhance Qantas’ innovation capabilities. TCS is proud to partner with Qantas. We are committed to assist the airline to experience certainty.
Learn more about TCS’ solutions and services for the airline industry.