To reiterate its commitment to environmental sustainability, TCS has set a target to reduce its specific carbon footprint by 50% (relative to baseline year 2007-08) by 2020. We have reduced our specific energy consumption, which is the biggest contributor to our carbon footprint, by over 49% over the baseline year. Green infrastructure, green IT, and IT-enabled operational efficiencies support TCS’ energy and carbon management process.
Over 50% of our total real estate portfolio is certified green building space, and 80% of all TCS-owned real estate is IGBC/LEED-certified green infrastructure. Key features of our green buildings include energy-efficient design, onsite renewable energy through rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) panels, solar thermal installations, chiller waste heat recovery units, and solar PV panel-based peripheral lighting systems.
Energy and Carbon Performance (baseline year 2007-08):
- 49.15% reduction in specific electricity consumption
- 13 LEED-certified campuses
- Power usage effectiveness of 1.73 across 23 key data centers
- 49.1% reduction in specific carbon footprint
- 7.25% of total power from renewable sources