Delhi goes digital with the launch of tech-enabled, citizen-friendly Passport Seva Kendras
- Fifty new Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) operational across 12 states
- Delhi PSKs go live in Herald House, Gurgaon and Shalimar Bagh
- Over 1.5 million passport applications processed nationwide since launch
New Delhi, February 23, 2012: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), the Government of India in partnership with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), (BSE: 532540, NSE: TCS), a leading IT services, consulting and business solutions organization, announced the launch of citizen-centric Passport Seva Kendras for applications and issuance of passports in the National Capital Territory.
The PSK at Herald House, ITO, New Delhi, was inaugurated by the Honorable Minister for External Affairs, SM Krishna in the presence of other dignitaries including Honorable Chief Minister, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Sheila Dikshit, Members of Parliament and senior government officials.
Passport Seva Project, a Mission Mode e-Governance project from the MEA, is transforming the passport issuance system in India by providing passport-related services to the citizens in a timely, transparent, accessible and reliable manner. The new PSKs will provide comfortable and efficient environment for applicants, using online appointments and streamlined processes.
N Chandrasekaran, CEO & MD, TCS, said, “Mission-Mode e-Governance projects like Passport Seva Project showcase how effectively a partnership model can work to provide technology-led, citizen-centric best-in-class services to Indian citizens. We are delighted to partner with the Ministry of External Affairs in this important national initiative.” He added, “The state-of-the-art centers are delivering services in a comfortable environment as well as providing increased access points for citizens.”
Milestones achieved in the PSK program:
- Fifty Passport Seva Kendras have gone live across India (Karnataka-4, Tamil Nadu-8, Andhra Pradesh-7, Kerala-10, Delhi-3, Punjab-7, Gujarat-5, Kolkata-1, Uttar Pradesh-2, Bihar-1, Rajasthan-1, Maharashtra-1)
- Over 10,000 citizens visit the PSKs daily across India
- Over 12,000 average calls are handled daily by the PSK call center to guide citizens
- The PSK call center supports 9 languages and will be ramped up to 17 languages
- Process Integration with police (address verification) and India Post (delivery of passports)
The key benefits of the Passport Seva Project services for citizens include the following:
- Online application submission including uploading of required documents
- Scheduling appointments at a fixed time and end-to-end tracking of the application
- Priority service for senior citizens and a special area for mothers accompanied by children
- Biometric data and photographs taken in highly secure environments
- Citizens leave the PSK with certainty on the status of their application
- Expedited police verification through the electronic linkage between PSK and police stations
- Transparency in the process and online real-time availability of data for ease of monitoring and decision making
About TCS’ Government Solutions
TCS partners with governments - central, state and local - for “smart governance” solutions, which provide efficiency, transparency and policy effectiveness in public services delivery to citizens. TCS has developed extensive global experience in developing comprehensive solutions across multiple government domains. Through technology and domain expertise, TCS has enabled governments globally to improve transparency, accessibility and affordability. To increase reusability, optimize costs and reduce implementation timelines, TCS has invested in creating DigiGov™, its proprietary e-governance framework. DigiGov™ is a comprehensive framework suite covering multiple government domains including revenue and taxation, law enforcement, healthcare, work-flow management, etc.
About Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that delivers real results to global business, ensuring a level of certainty no other firm can match. TCS offers a consulting-led, integrated portfolio of IT, BPO, infrastructure, engineering and assurance services. This is delivered through its unique Global Network Delivery Model™ (GNDM), recognized as the benchmark of excellence in software development. A part of the Tata group, India’s largest industrial conglomerate, TCS has over 226,000 of the world’s best-trained consultants in 42 countries. The company generated consolidated revenues of US $8.2 billion for year ended March 31, 2011 and is listed on the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange in India. For more information, visit us at www.tcs.com.
Rediffusion / Edelman Contacts
Phone: +91 98102 86337
Phone: +91 81305 99192
TCS Media Contacts
Phone: +91 22 6778 9999
Phone: +91 22 6778 9077