3 million patients to be benefitted by TCS’ AIIMS OPD transformation initiative
NEW DELHI, December 28, 2015: In a national showcase that demonstrates the power of public-private partnerships to enhance the quality of life of India’s citizens, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting and business solutions firm and the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), the apex body for healthcare and medical research in India announced the launch of a transformed, patient-friendly Out Patient Department (OPD) process to help re-affirm AIIMS as a beacon of world-class healthcare services.
The inauguration ceremony was held at AIIMS in the presence of J P Nadda, Hon’ble Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Piyush Goyal, Hon'ble Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and N Chandrashekaran, CEO & MD, Tata Consultancy Services.
Executed in record time-frame of seven months, the AIIMS OPD Transformation project is a social initiative where TCS introduced new technology and stream-lined innovative processes that will benefit more than three million patients visiting 21 OPDs in the Main hospital each year. The transformation has helped to reduce the long waiting time for patients from six hours on an average to less than two hours and eliminate overcrowding. A recent survey showed that 83% patients have appreciated the AIIMS OPD transformation.
“Digitization of AIIMS processes has been my top priority and introducing digitized OPD processes is a first step towards the fulfilment of this mission. We are happy to lead a transformation project that draws on collaboration of excellent teams from TCS and AIIMS working in tandem towards such a profound impact on patient care,” said Prof M C Misra, Director, AIIMS.
“Our engagement with AIIMS is very special as this is a unique opportunity to use technology interventions to improve access to healthcare and at the same time help the nation’s pre-eminent institute to treat patients effectively and efficiently,” said N Chandrasekaran, CEO and MD, TCS. “Healthcare holds particular significance in a nation’s economy. Improving the health of the nation can result in direct economic growth,” he added.
TCS was the intellectual and financial sponsor of the entire project life-cycle from concept and design through implementation and support with a team drawn from different parts of the organization.
Besides optimization, TCS has created necessary infrastructure, designed the way-finding solution, introduced information dissemination methodologies and change management for this massive transformation.
Highlights of the AIIMS OPD transformation by TCS:
- Patients waiting time drastically reduced from 6 Hours to 2 Hours
- New waiting hall with 2,550 additional seating capacity created; older halls refurbished - Total of 4050 patients comfortably seated through the OPD journey
- 120 Patients care coordinators introduced for patients assistance and guidance
- New ‘Single Patient - Single attendant’ policy has effectively reduced overcrowding
- New appointment system assures consultation with 10 web Kiosks and capability of booking more than 3000 future appointment per day
- 4 large LED Appointment Status Boards (LEDs) displaying the real time appointment availability for Increased Transparency and Visibility
- No need to queue: Patients take online appointment and come accordingly: 73% of patients come with prior appointment as against 20% earlier
- Introduced Centralized Patient Registration Center with 52 counters catering to 10,000 patients per day
- Reduced Processing time at the counters:
- Patient with Appointment (Fast Track): 30 seconds
- Patient without appointment (Current Booking): 50 seconds
- 2250 registrations/confirmation can be done in one hour
- 18 Single Window Exit Counters facilitating all post consultation needs of the patients
- 57 LED Screen to educate about the new process and general health & hygiene
- Multi Zonal Public Addressing (PA) System installed in 11 locations for patient communication, control and exigencies
- Pedestrian management system with new marked pathways introduced for guidance, traffic management and convenience
- Introduction of paramedics at counters for screening and guiding patients to right departments
About All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) was established in 1956 as an institution of national importance by an Act of Parliament to develop patterns of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
The Institute has comprehensive facilities for teaching, research and patient care. AIIMS conducts teaching programmes in medical and para-medical courses both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and awards its own degrees. Teaching and research is conducted in 52 disciplines. AIIMS is a leader in the field of medical research with over 2000 research publications by its faculty and researchers in a year. AIIMS also runs a College of Nursing.
About Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that delivers real results to global business, ensuring a level of certainty no other firm can match. TCS offers a consulting-led, integrated portfolio of IT, BPS, infrastructure, engineering and assurance services. This is delivered through its unique Global Network Delivery Model™, recognized as the benchmark of excellence in software development. A part of the Tata group, India’s largest industrial conglomerate, TCS has over 335,000 of the world’s best-trained consultants in 46 countries. The company generated consolidated revenues of US $15.5 billion for year ended March 31, 2015 and is listed on the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange in India. For more information, visit us at www.tcs.com.
For TCS global news, follow @TCS_News.
For more information, please contact:
Email: Pradipta.email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Phone: +91 22 6778 9999
Phone: +91 22 6778 9999