Urban Teenagers are hyper-connected, smart phones are the new digital Swiss knife
TCS GenY 2013-14 Survey Highlights
- Mini Metro teenagers lead metros in adopting digital lifestyles
- Social trends
- Facebook is the most preferred social networking playground, 76% have an account (it was 86% in 2012)
- 48% of the urban teenagers post on Facebook once in every three days
- 53% of high school students have more than 120 friends, whereas 60% have over 120 friends in mini metros
- Google+ is becoming popular, Orkut is history
- Twitter is complex, therefore not popular
- 87% of the high school students think social media has made them aware of current affairs
- Gadgets & net surfing habits
- 9 out of 10 urban teenagers have phones
- Tablets are as popular as mobile phones both in metro & mini metros
- Cyber cafes are dead in metros
- Online trends
- 7 out of 10 urban teenagers shop online
- They have moved from buying movie tickets to high value items
Mumbai | June 11, 2014: Commenting on the TCS GenY survey, Ajoy Mukherjee, Executive Vice President and Global Head HR said: Tomorrow’s professionals will be socially active, highly adaptable to new technologies and extremely aware of the world around them. Our annual survey of high-school students shows that urban teenagers are adopting new social platforms quickly, using them in multiple ways and leading the way in driving change. The inputs provided by India’s biggest survey of students help TCS as an organization plan appropriate ways to engage with tomorrow’s professionals and create fulfilling careers.
Background of the survey
The TCS GenY survey was undertaken during the nationwide TCS IT Wiz program held between July to December 2013 across 14 Indian cities - Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur and Pune, with a total base of 18,196 high school students of 12-18. The primary data was collected from the participants by means of a questionnaire at each of the locations.
To find out more on the trends like preferred brands, carrier choices, net surfing habit you can refer to the survey findings: The TCS GenY Survey 2012-13 (PDF, 8.7 MB)
About Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. (TCS)
Tata Consultancy Services is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that delivers real results to global business, ensuring a level of certainty no other firm can match. TCS offers a consulting-led, integrated portfolio of IT, BPS,infrastructure, engineering and assurance services. This is delivered through its unique Global Network Delivery Model™,recognized as the benchmark of excellence in software development. A part of the Tata group, India’s largest industrial conglomerate, TCS has over 300,000 of the world’s best-trained consultants in 46 countries. The company generated consolidated revenues of US $13.4 billion for year ended March 31, 2014 and is listed on the National Stock Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange in India. For more information, visit us at www.tcs.com.
Follow TCS on Twitter.
TCS Media Contacts
Phone: +91 22 6778 9999
Phone: +91 22 6778 9077