Our labs are connected to academic research centers of international repute for various collaborative research projects. Our labs are customer aligned and metrics driven. A number of innovative solutions emerging from our labs have won national and international awards.
Academic Alliance Labs
TCS Innovation Labs - Pune (TRDDC)
Cyber Physical systems | Human Systems | ICT systems | Applications and Systems Testing | Developmental methods for analytics solutions | Enterprise Integration | Human Aspects of Software Engineering and Management | Human Centric System Analysis and Design | ICME | Model-driven Enterprise | Requirements Engineering | Systems Evolution and Transformation | V&V for Embedded Systems | Services Research and Innovation | Computational Life Sciences
The research groups in Pune work on:
Software tools: Tools for software lifecycle, Test management and maintenance that can automate and improve quality of applications
Adaptive and agile enterprise systems
Zero defect software has made significant contributions to reengineering assignments, large mission critical project development, product development for the verticals, embedded software development, checking programming standards, and requirements specification. This has been possible due to the philosophy of developing our meta-tools for modeling, program analysis and transformation, and building on the available tools for constraint solving, model checking, and so on.
- Green Initiatives: Iron ore slimes, High ash coals, Sustainable manufacturing, Green data centre
- Integrated Computational Materials Engineering: ICME-AHSS, ICME-Gear, ICME-stamp, Materials informatics
- Advanced Materials: Nanoparticle production, Flame reactors, High energy milling , Nanofluids , Nanocoatings , Polymer processing , Polymer nanofibres
- Health Care Initiatives: Drug release through polymer hydrogels, Polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering , Materials for surgical devices , Biosensors
This research group addresses some of the most challenging issues in designing and optimizing large-scale systems such as:
Large-scale IT systems such as data centers of large enterprises
People systems such as the workforce of a service provider
Complex engineering systems such as a thermonuclear reactor or a multi-antenna telescope
Research activities, here, are inter-disciplinary in nature involving the broad areas of algorithms and optimizations, machine learning, networks, distributed systems and operating systems. The lab collaborates actively with many academic institutions, start-ups as well as strategic alliance partners in several technology areas.
Computational Life Sciences:
The focus of the Life Sciences, R&D group at TCS Innovation Labs - Pune includes:
Computational methods in life sciences
Algorithms for metagenomic data analysis
Human microbiome and health
Systems biology of tuberculosis
Compression algorithms for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data
TCS Innovation Labs - Bengaluru
Research Areas: Cyber Physical Systems | ICT Systems | Human Systems
TCS Innovation Lab, Bengaluru, focuses on Cyber Physical Systems (CPS) involving technologies for distributed multimodal sensing, communications, monitoring and control. It aims at conducting integrated research programs to create multi-disciplinary innovations in “Intelligent Systems of Things” toward building intelligent facilities and infrastructures.
Major research areas include the following:
- Robust sensing and sensor informatics
- Security and privacy for M2M
- Intelligent facilities and infrastructures
Robust Sensing and Sensor Informatics explores the following:
- Robust sensor communications through adaptive coding
- Road intelligence and driving behavior estimation using vehicular accelerometry
- Non-intrusive monitoring of home appliances through smart meter data disaggregation
Security and Privacy for M2M focuses on the following:
- Identity-based encryption for security in the Internet of Things
- Secure group communication of devices
- Security and privacy preservation in participatory sensing
Human Systems explores the following:
- Estimation of human fatigue and stress level using bio-sensing
Intelligent infrastructures research helps you with the following:
- Mobile tele-assistance enabled by augmented reality
- Unmanned aerial vehicle-based sensing for infrastructure monitoring
Solutions and Tools
- Power Prism: For non-intrusive load monitoring for home
- Acoustic NFC: Near-field communication using audio for smartphones
- Mobile PassVault: A password vault secured using IBE on smartphones
- Secure M2M with IBE
- Robust M2M with FEC
CTO - Networks Lab
CTO-Networks Lab came into existence in Dec 2010 and is co-located with Innovation Labs, Bangalore. The main objective of this lab is to understand and offer value added services and solutions around technology infrastructure especially those related to telecommunication and computer networks.
Networking is a fundamental technology and spans a wide area ranging from networks within buildings to those spanning across a large geography with several new technologies coming into play such as Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless, Cellular, etc. It is important that TCS needs to be in a position to not only understand new technologies to implement them in a cost effective way but also help build standards and drive new technology development.
The research group is currently active in the following areas:
- Telecommunications Networks:
Development of tools and techniques to help cellular service providers to improve and optimize their mobile networks, both during new rollout or after, thus minimizing their capital and operating expenditures. This work spans across technologies such as GSM, CDMA, W-CDMA, and LTE. The team is also working on extending popular path loss models to handle Indian terrain conditions (rural and urban) for a broad spectrum range, which we believe would be very useful to operators in network planning. The team has developed algorithms for uplink-scheduling for LTE / WiMAX networks using cross-layer techniques that improves over standard round robin schemes. Besides these, the team has applied novel techniques for performance optimization in terms of life time and throughput maximization in distributed wireless sensor networks.
- Enterprise Networks:
The team has developed tools to aid the network architect to design an enterprise data and storage network for a data center, a branch office, etc., taking into account several constraints that a network designer typically faces. The idea is to automate the error prone tasks of a network designer in a short-time span and in an optimal manner. The tool supports products from multiple OEMs and can handle either a greenfield design or a transformational one. The tool updates its product data base automatically, supports multi-vendor data and is being enhanced to support SDN capable equipment as well.
- Software Defined Networks:
The team is working on prototyping a simulation/emulation environment for Software Defined Networks (SDN) to carry out related research. The team is developing algorithms that can dynamically decide the number of controllers based on traffic conditions. This can help address scalability issues and also fault tolerance. Further, the lab is looking at ways by which SDN concepts can be extended to telecommunications networks, thereby bringing more flexibility in that domain. Finally, the use of SDN in a cloud data center to make network-as-a-service a reality is currently being looked into. This will enable our vision for a Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) framework.
Apart from this, the team is actively involved in standardization activities, has many contributions in national and international publications of repute and filed several patents in India and abroad.
TCS Innovation Labs - Chennai
Decision Sciences and Algorithms | Human Centric System and Social Media | Cyber Physical Systems
The research groups in Chennai work on:
Sustainable Solutions and Consulting:
- Green IT solutions and consulting: especially Green data centers and green facilities
- Smartening water distribution networks at both utility and campus scales with a focus on energy and water management
- Renewable energy integration with special emphasis on predicting wind speed & power, solar farm sizing, and hybrid wind-solar plant designs
Next Gen Web Technologies:
- Social software, semantic web and Rich Internet Application (RIA) platforms
- Consulting in Enterprise 2.0, usability and Social Interaction Design, creation of web-oriented architectures and Mashup platforms and tools and assets for facilitating these
- Consumer internet user experience into the enterprise to bridge the growing gap between the open, democratic, flat systems and the top-down, hierarchical way of working that pervades most companies.
TCS Innovation Labs - Delhi
Data Analytics & Information Fusion | Multimedia, Graphics and Robotics | Natural Language Processing | Web Intelligence and Text Mining
The research groups in Delhi work on:
Big Data analytics & information fusion, exploring business use cases, solving the analytics problems that underlie them, as well as developing efficient algorithms that exploit the new big data stack and emerging data sources.
Multimedia, graphics and robotics, dealing with contextual interpretation of multimedia data and creation of synchronized presentation for specific use-cases.
Graphical visualization of environments using 3D models created by graphic artists or using RGBD cameras for simulation and animation of human models.
Developing algorithms that would enable robots to understand its environment so as to fulfill its assigned goal efficiently.
Natural language processing research to query dynamically and to interact with different applications through natural language.
Text Mining dedicated to developing mechanisms for extracting knowledge hidden in unstructured text and integrating it to a causal and predictive analytics framework to derive Enterprise Intelligence.
TCS Innovation Labs - Hyderabad
Computational Finance and Risk | Computational Life Sciences | e-Security | Business Systems and Cybernetics
The research groups in Hyderabad work on:
- Biomedical text-mining for enhanced healthcare
- Human genome analysis
- Computational structural biology
- Drug development
- e-Security: Advanced encryption methods, Enterprise digital rights management, Digital watermarking and traitor tracing
- Risk and Finance: Quantitative and computational methods for risk management in financial and non financial applications with special emphasis on pricing, hedging, Monte-Carlo simulations and stochastic optimization
- Bio-Appliance platform
- TCS PubMed eXplorer (TPX)
- Genome Commons Navigator - A comprehensive tool for Genome Annotation and
- Quantlator- A comprehensive tool for pricing and hedging of derivatives
- Video Mudra – Digital watermarking tool for videos
- eDRM – enterprise DRM for office documents
TCS Innovation Labs - Kolkata
Cyber Physical Systems | Human Systems
The research groups in Kolkata work on:
Signal processing, communication, computational and analytics aspects of Internet-of-Things (IoT) leading towards people-centric intelligent cyber-physical systems.
There are five research projects:
Cyber physical Systems
- IoT Platform Enhancements – Lightweight protocols, Distributed computing, Privacy and Security of IoT Platform; Stream Reasoning and Processing Support in IoT platform
- Intelligent Facilities – Model-driven Energy Consumption Optimization for Buildings; Sensor-driven Emergency Evacuation planning for Buildings
- New Sensing Platforms (5 senses Computing) - 3D reconstruction from un-calibrated 2D images from mobile phones
- Intelligent Healthcare through unobtrusive sensing – Elderly People and Chronic Disease people monitoring at home using Mobile phone based localization, proximity sensing and activity detection, mobile phone based physiological sensing, Kinect based people identification and activity detection and Social Network Mining
- Biosensing for Cognitive Load - EEG based cognitive load detection,
TCS Innovation Labs - Mumbai
Mobility and Social Innovation | Speech and Natural Language | Performance Engineering / Assurance of computing systems and networks
The research groups in Mumbai work on:
Mobility and social innovations, aiming to be pioneer in providing innovative services to improve livelihood, education, skills and quality of primary healthcare of the masses and to establish leadership in Rural Mobile Human Computer Interface (HCI), in India and the subcontinent. Towards this, the group focuses on developing working prototypes, pilots, research test-beds as well as providing frameworks, models, standards and guidelines for developing rural mobile applications.
Speech and Natural Language Processing, focusing on enabling:
- Robust speech recognition for different languages that can handle noise, accent and other variations smoothly
- Voice and speech analytics to identify speaker, language, emotions, etc. over large input sets
- Extraction of usable information hidden in spoken conversations for enabling actionable analytics
- Parsing of chunks of text to identify the tasks and intent conveyed in them at a semantic level, together with identifying the relevant entities, objects, and relationships in the domain
- Multi-lingual interfaces for systems
- Parsing and translation of documents, reports and system responses in order to enable information correlation and extraction across diverse language resources
Performance Engineering /Assurance of computing systems and networks
Measurement, emulation, analysis, modeling and optimization of the performance of distributed computing systems
Development of high performance components and frameworks, enabling solutions meet stringent performance SLAs
Optimization of scientific, engineering and other compute intensive algorithms on multi-core, multi-node, GPU and other HPC technologies
The research group works on the following:
- Developing new tools, techniques and methodologies required for delivering high performing applications
- Development of high performance components and frameworks enabling solutions meet stringent performance SLAs
- Performance modelling and simulation including the following:
- Early Capacity Planning
- Prediction of performance under conditions of varying
- Hardware and software platforms
- Data volumes (Big Data)
- Performance Monitoring and Analytics
- Reliability Analysis
- High Performance Computing
- Algorithm optimization on Multi-Node, Multi-core systems and co-processors like GPU's & MiC
- Including scientific, engineering, visualization and financial applications
- Low Latency Messaging Development
ScrutiNet - Network Sniffer Based Application Profiling Tool - Now known and TCS MasterCraft Transaction Profiler
SQLPASS - Database query performance predictor
FASTEST - Framework for automated Performance Testing - Now known as TCS MasterCraft Application Performance Tester
TCS Innovation Labs - Peterborough
This lab acts as a collaboration hub between TCS Innovation Labs across the world and the customers, in conjunction with the TCS account teams. The engagement model is focused on agile methods and the use of rapid systems development to offer a safe environment for trial of new solutions.
By collaborating with this lab in Peterborough, one can utilize the expertise of the TCS Co-Innovation Network (TCS COIN).
TCS Innovation Labs - Cincinnati
Product Design and Sustainability: Challenges in extracting semantic understanding in design data/information and making tacit knowledge useful for others involved in the design process (Working Knowledge Models (WKM)), visualization, interaction and collaboration (social networking) frameworks in early stages of product design, and methods/tools for product re-design and sustainability
Analytics and Process-Based Modeling: Application of process-based modeling concepts to product and process improvement. The work would focus on the development of tools and techniques for applying formal modeling, simulation and optimization techniques for product design and improvement in industry verticals such as medical devices, automotive, life sciences, etc.
Multi-product Optimization: Development of processes and methods for optimization-driven product rationalization for the manufacturing domain. The initiative focuses on solving challenging problems in the product rationalization stage leading to cost advantages in downstream manufacturing and service functions.
TCS Innovation Labs - Insurance
Improving operational efficiency of various key stakeholders including insurers, policy holders, agents and service providers through the use of emerging technologies
Managing customer lifestyle through proactive advice and support in the area of health, travel and automobiles
Improving customer experience and relationship through customer self-service systems, business process management, customer profiling and customer-driven product design
Insurance Product Innovation in the creation of new products to meet the changing market needs as well as in the process of designing and launching new products
Enabling micro insurance especially in emerging markets like India and China by offering convenience at an affordable cost using technology
Straight Through Processing (STP) and Process Improvements in the insurance business process
Improving member experience with Web 2.0
Business Intelligence and Analytics in insurance
Next Generation Architecture for IT Systems for Insurance: Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud Computing (CC) solutions for insurance
Model Driven Development (MDD) and Testing for developing large IT systems for Insurance
Reference Architecture for insurance systems
TCS Innovation Labs - Engineering and Industrial Solutions (EIS)
Modeling, simulation and control of plants, equipments and processes
Data Analysis and Data Mining
The lab has created tools for two-stage tolerance optimization, capital maintenance planning, fixed-structure parametric identification, data mining and the development of Virtual Sensors using operational data. It has also created a framework for Supply Chain Planning under Uncertainty, a methodology for the identification of linear and nonlinear dynamic systems, algorithms for adaptive networks based on adaptive resonance theory for classification and identification and for fault diagnosis in linear and nonlinear systems using a model-based approach, and an object-oriented module for online multivariable control and optimization of linear systems.
TCS Innovation Labs - Telecom
Digital Surveillance based on Intelligent Video Analytics
IPTV: Video Analytics, STB, Media Streaming and IP Cameras
Mobile-based solutions for shopping, advertising, mobility, etc.
The lab acts as a hub for the incubation of new ideas relating to IP-based technologies primarily in the content delivery of video and other rich media and the Digital Surveillance System domain.
TCS Innovation Labs – Telecom – NextGen RnD
The NextGen RnD lab, part of Telecom, acts as a hub for the incubation of new ideas relating to next generation telecommunication networks, including providing complete support throughout the solution lifecycle including ideation, strategy and planning, architecture design and development, quality assurance, solution maintenance and customer support.
The lab focuses on:
- Market research of next generation/evolving technologies to address various challenges of Telecom industry
- Develop solution approach and Proof Of Concept for next generation technologies - Small Cells/LTE; WiFi; IP Routing & Switching; SDN
- Showcase thought leadership – LTE SON, LTE RRM, LTE Multimedia Broadcasting
TCS Innovation Labs - Travel and Hospitality
Integrated Merchandising Framework
Process-Driven Tactile Interfaces
Seamless Flight Disruption Notification Framework
The lab focuses on the themes of “Enhancing Customer Experience,” “Enabling Airline Enterprise” and “Measuring and Optimizing the Enterprise” in the travel industry, especially in the airline segment. It has also evolved a Travel Services Platform and a Web Kiosk, a Web browser-based light-weight check-in application.
TCS Innovation Labs - Retail
- Customer Shopping Experience: Digital Personal Shopping Assistant, Loyalty Framework, Digital Signage, Smart Checkout Systems, People Counter and IR Beacons
- Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) Tags
- Store Operations in Galleria: Space Optimization and Workforce Management SystemEnterprise Project Management System, Personal Digital Assistant, Master Data Management, solutions such as KSS PriceStrat and Retek Management System
The lab has also worked on an Assortment Dashboard: a collaborative tool that facilitates quick decision making by providing users (assortment planners and category managers) with a single snapshot of all the information required for assortment of inventory.
TCS Innovation Labs - Banking and Financial Services
Research Areas of the Capital Markets Lab:
- Trading algorithms: Algorithmic solutions for high frequency and algo trading
- Discrete hedging solutions: Discrete hedging solutions for derivatives portfolios of multi-asset classes
- Trader behavior and pattern detection: Research on trading pattern behavior of traders, deriving operational risk index on the basis of that pattern and trading strategy detection
- Low latency: Lowering turnaround time from milliseconds to microseconds for trading systems
- Complex event processing and message driven architecture: Reducing the peak interval to generate more arbitrage opportunities
The Capital Markets group of TCS Innovation Labs - Banking and Financial Services tracks trends in capital markets and identifies opportunities as well as challenges for the market participants.
It offers innovative solutions by leveraging high-end technologies, innovative approaches and processes to help clients meet challenges in trading systems, investment management, exchanges and depositories. It also leverages TCS’ strong domain technology expertise and provides platform solutions in partnership with customers.
Research Areas of the Banking and Financial Services Lab:
- Social Media Networking: Integrated social networking, collaboration and knowledge management platform using Web 2.0 technologies adapted to support areas in banking, social media analytics such as:
- Customer Evaluation – to score the social credibility of people and organizations
- Skip tracing - to trace and locate persons who have skipped town and intentionally gone into hiding
- Customer Analytics – to customize advertising campaigns using social media feedback
- Sentimental Analysis - to analyze call center conversations for decision making
- Customer centricity: Customer Experience Management, Relationship focus and Personal Financial Solutions such as:
- Video statements - to provide better customer experience by introducing animation and voice to monthly statements
- Mobile Payment Solutions - to help build alternate channels for fund transfer
- Customer Analytics – to improve customer experience by providing web page customization based on analysis of customer clicks
- Ubiquity and Channel Integration: Mobile-based offerings including mobile phones for channel integration, virtual branch capabilities on self-service kiosks
- Mobile Mortgage – to reduce the cost per loan application processing and cycle time and improve customer experience by enabling end customers and loan officers with mobile technology (phones and tablets)
- Mobile BI solutions - to enable rendering of BI solutions on tablets without any application development effort such as Call Center Analytics and Payments/Cash Management Analytics
- Data Model / Framework / Dashboard solution for Enterprise Credit Risk Management and ReportingFinancial Inclusion – to provide virtual branch capabilities on hand held devices
- Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC): Integrated IT Solution delivered in partnership with a market leading provider that supports G,R and C on a single integrated system
- Security: Certificate-less mutual authentication solutions, TCS-patented light weight security protocol for mobile and wireless device based banking applications
TCS Innovation Labs - Life Sciences and Pharma
The Life Sciences lab provides an environment to ideate, architect, design and develop innovative domain solutions and offerings using new technologies. It focuses on:
- Developing new pharma business solutions and offerings
- Evaluating industry leading COTS products
- Performing POC for Pharma customers
- Demonstrating Business processes across pharma value chain
- Competency development
Key Business Solutions:
- Bringing efficiencies in Clinical Operations by leveraging mobility & Social media
- Improving study team productivity using Collaboration and eDocument exchange approach
- Reducing TCO by building new Cloud based platforms
- Reducing data redundancy and adoption of industry data standards for improving regulatory compliance as well as bringing efficiencies in data management processes
- Addressing drug counterfeit challenge and regulatory requirement around Serialization and ePedigree
- Building clinical data repository and analytics solution to extract intelligence to optimize Clinical trial planning and execution as well as enabling regulatory’s audit readiness
The Pharmaceutical Innovation lab is equipped with the required infrastructure and various industry leading COTS products like Oracle Clinical, TMS, Argus Safety, Emperica Signal, Oracle Clinical Data Analytics, Oracle LSH etc.
Key Products Developed in the Lab:
- Clin-e2e (CTMS and CDM Application) also available in hosted environment
- End-to-end Clinical Data Management and Bio-Statistics Cloud Based Platform
- Clinical Data Transformation Engine (CDTE)
- Clinical Portal Based on MS Sharepoint
- MDM Solution Accelerators for Clinical and Pharma Sales master data management and others
- PIRA (Pharma Industry Reference Architecture), which captures the pharma business process along with Application and Information Architecture Reference Model.
Academic Alliance Labs
PowerAnser Labs (PAL)
PAL brings together IIT-B’s deep academic and research expertise and our broad IT strengths to address the various challenges of the Power Sector. Its expertise and tools will facilitate and expedite restructuring of the power industry. PAL will also cater to the
sector’s R&D and training needs to cope with the requirements of restructuring.
PAL uses the latest technology to deliver online network analysis and decision support tools to help power utilities and grid operators access in-depth analysis at all times. It synergizes the use of Operations Research (OR) and Information Technology (IT) tools for the power system and focuses on services, delivered over the Internet, for the restructured and deregulated power system. The emphasis is on development of IT enabled tools with strong OR component for optimizing the performance of the restructured power systems.
In the first phase, PAL has focused on development of the following tools using the Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) model:
- Decision support tools for scheduling loads and generations in an electricity market
- Short Term Load Forecasting
- Security Constrained Optimal Power Flow
- Infrastructure planning tools for planning the infrastructure growth for T&D networks
- Optimal Transmission System Expansion Planning
- Distribution System Planning
- Long-term Load Forecasting
- Infrastructure cost management tools
- Transmission System Usage Cost and Loss Allocator
- Generation Fixed Cost Allocator
- Finance tools related to bidding, risk management
- Instruments to hedge risk against congestion
Going forward, PAL will work closely with utilities to develop innovative tools for enhancing operational performance of distribution enterprises and evolve innovative processes for improving the customer facing interactions.
Singapore Management University
Tata Consultancy Services along with Singapore Management University (SMU) has established the TCS-SMU iCity Lab. Located at SMU Singapore, this lab is working towards creating a new research facility to develop industry perspectives, industry standards and IT frameworks for the emerging intelligent city (“iCity”) model of urban development. Apart from direct investment in the lab which will be used for supporting a team of thought leaders, academic collaboration and scholarships, we will be supporting joint initiatives under TCS Co-Innovation Network (TCS COIN™) initiative, with collaboration from our global network of innovation labs.
The iCity Lab will be a digitally interactive user-experience center where city managers and planners from the urban areas of surrounding countries can come to visualize and interactively explore scenarios for transitioning to the new generation of cloud-based information service delivery. The lab will also serve government and commercial organizations via the rapid development and prototyping of intelligent city solutions in the context of real-world scenarios.
The lab will be used to create innovative concepts leading to holistic solutions and transition frameworks, service-related process models and working prototypes of new cloud-based IT service delivery solutions to deliver city services under major themes such as healthcare, education, utilities, environmental management, transport, public safety and security, together with related G2C & G2B services, and integrating next generation technologies such as social media, Cloud Computing, Internet of Things, Mobility and Big Data.