The Microsoft Azure platform provides powerful products and tools with diverse integration capabilities for applications at various levels. This paper focuses on the application integration capabilities of the following Microsoft tools:
- Azure BizTalk Services
- Azure Service Bus
- Azure Queues
- BizTalk Server on Azure
Understanding the individual capabilities and usage scenarios of each of these products can help you make the right deployment choice. In this paper, we evaluate each of these tools against the following criteria:
- Supported integration mechanisms: Out-of-the-box support that allows integration with other applications
using common transport protocols such as HTTP, FTP, SFTP, and APIs
- Supported messaging operations: The different types of messaging operations including transformations,
validation, guaranteed delivery, etc., that are supported by the product
- Supported industry standards: The ability of the product to support popular industry messaging standards of
data exchange such as ANSI X12 EDI, HIPAA, etc.
- Service management: The ability of the product to manage, deploy, and debug its solution components
- Software dependency: Product dependencies including the need for additional software such as SQL Server
- Developer support: Special tools offered to developers to build new solutions
In addition to the comparative analysis of capabilities, we also take a look at various implementation scenarios for each of these tools.