TCS’ client is a mid-sized international oil and gas company producing over 600,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. The company is part of a large multinational conglomerate operating in the shipping and logistics, terminal operations, energy and retail sectors, with a presence in over 100 countries.
The company had invested over $1 million in the implementation and rollout of an HSE reporting platform. The corporate HSE department needed to see an improvement in the reliability and quality of the HSE data and the overall effectiveness of the operational HSE risk management processes across business activities.
The platform did not help reduce the time and manual effort required to produce management reports in spite of the extensive training provided to the key personnel in the operating units. Employee retention and knowledge transfer process in the support services team became increasingly difficult. The morale of the team was low, and the members were not confident when interacting with end-users.
TCS was selected to provide expert guidance to improve the performance of its HSE platform. Our expertise in the oil and gas domain and our proven capability in helping global energy companies achieve business agility were key factors in the selection process. We assessed the current environment, presented recommendations, and implemented them in collaboration with the support team.
We analyzed the challenges and addressed them gradually as the platform rollout progressed. We followed a three-step approach:
- Investigate: We suggested that informal one-on-one interviews be conducted with select representatives.
- Analyze: We recommended a strong emphasis on the human factors contributing to the current situation.
- Intervene: We mutually agreed with the company to keep the intervention practical and immediate.
The new support model significantly improved the HSE platform and enhanced the company’s ability to fully utilize it.
- The number of support calls decreased by 50% within a week of training.
- The effort required to manually correct data reduced by 30%.
- There are no more deviations from the harmonized processes.