About the TCS NYC Marathon Mobile App
Beyond its title sponsorship of the TCS New York City Marathon, TCS is the creator of the race’s official app, available in both the Apple and Google Play stores. In the fifth year of our partnership, we continued to collaborate with New York Road Runners to make the TCS New York City Marathon the most technologically advanced and socially engaged marathon experience for runners, fans and families alike. In short, an experience that will be a memory forever.
The 2018 TCS New York City Marathon app provided even more exciting, race-specific features. Year-over-year growth can be attributed to the apps many innovations and enhancements that enable runners and their support community to keep track of the event:
- Live, on-map tracking— allowed users to track an unlimited number of runners, with updated splits every 5K. Of the 52,000+ runners, nearly all were tracked.
- Spectator Guides – helped fans who were in NYC create Spectator Guides to help plan their race-day itinerary. Spectators could choose up to three spots on the course from our recommended viewing locations, and their guide provided the runners’ estimated times of arrival, along with transportation directions between locations. Nearly 30,000 Spectator Guides were created.
- Cheer Cards – allows users to create personalized digital cheer signs in the app with text, stickers, and frames. 152,000+ Cheer Cards were created (up 116% from 2017)—108,000 on race day alone—and 28,100 unique runners were tagged in Cheer Cards; a 63% increase year-over-year.
- Push Notifications – users could opt-in to receive push notifications when their runners started the race, reached the halfway point, finished, and left Central Park after crossing the finish line.
- NYRR Race Predictor Powered by Tata Consultancy Services—used each runner’s unique running history to predict
accurate finish times.
- The Live Pro-Athlete Leaderboard –provides the list of leaders, along with their bios including stats and career highlights. Users could instantly track these runners with just one tap.
- Runner Detail Pages – each runner followed had has his/her own dashboard page, which included live tracking stats, links to create a Spectator Guide, Cheer Cards for the runner, and the option to view and order race-day photos.
- Voice Search – allowed users to dictate bib numbers to search for runners instead of keying them in.
2018 TCS NYC Marathon Mobile App – Stats
The 2018 TCS New York City Marathon App was downloaded a record 437,609 times (most ever for the TCS NYC Marathon or any other marathon), up 24% from 334,000 downloads in 2017.
The iOS version of the app ranked #1 among top free sports, and for the second year in a row, the iOS version of the app ranked #1 among free apps in the App Store on race day.
The average session duration on the app was 15:10, a 6.7% increase and nearly one minute longer than 2017.
TCS and NYRR Partnership
TCS is proud to be the title sponsor of the most prestigious endurance running event in the world — the TCS New York City Marathon — and the first-ever premier partner of New York Road Runners (NYRR). This long-term initiative is symbolic of our continued investment and commitment to North America and, of course, with running communities across the world.
Our year-round partnership with NYRR takes the message of health and wellness into the communities of New York City’s five boroughs and beyond. This union is realized through the active engagement of our joint employees and volunteers in hosting several New York City races and fitness initiatives throughout the year. From the likes of the United Airlines NYC Half and Popular Brooklyn Half, to NYRR’s various youth initiatives, such as Rising New York Road Runners.
Tweets by @TCS_NA
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that has been partnering with many of the world’s largest businesses in their digital and transformation journeys for the last fifty years. TCS offers a consulting-led, cognitive powered, integrated portfolio of business, technology and engineering services and solutions. This is delivered through its unique Location Independent Agile delivery model, recognized as a benchmark of excellence in software development. TCS has more than 417,000 of the world’s best-trained consultants in 46 countries with $19.09 billion in revenue as of March 31, 2018.
In America, TCS’ customers represent a third of the Fortune 500 brands, it has been one of the two top recruiters of local IT Services talent for the past five years and is a leading proponent of STEM education through platforms such as goIT, Million Women Mentors and Ignite My Future in School. Additionally, TCS supports community wellness through its multiple marathon sponsorships (e.g., the TCS NYC Marathon and the Boston and Chicago Marathons).